HKBU invites SOPA Award winners to forum on challenges facing journalists
The School of Communication of Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) has invited six winners of the Asian media industry's most prestigious news award, the Society of Publishers in Asia (SOPA) Awards for Editorial Excellence, to share their insights with University members, students, media professionals and the public.
The HKBU-SOPA Award Winners Forum 2015 will be held on 12-16 October 2015. During the period, the winners will conduct a series of lectures and workshops with journalism students of the University.
Members of the media are invited to cover the forum’s opening ceremony and public forum to be held on 13 October. Details are as follows:
Date: 13 October 2015 (Tuesday)
3:30 pm Opening ceremony
4:15 pm Public forum: “Framing a story – The journalistic challenge to put issues in context”
Venue: Dr Hari Harilela Lecture Theatre (WLB103), HKBU Shaw Campus (new campus), Renfrew Road, Kowloon Tong
The six SOPA award winners who will speak at the forum are:
• Ms Hannah Beech, East Asia Bureau Chief of TIME Asia, Winner of the SOPA Award 2013 Excellence in Lifestyle Coverage;
• Ms Nancy C Carvajal, Reporter of Philippine Daily Inquirer, Winner of the SOPA Award 2015 Journalist of the Year;
• Ms Chen Yi-shan, Deputy Editor of CommonWealth Magazine; Winner of the SOPA Award 2015 Excellence in Business Reporting;
• Mr Harry Harrison, Cartoonist of South China Morning Post; Winner of the SOPA Award 2015 Excellence in Editorial Cartooning;
• Ms Didi Kirsten Tatlow, Correspondent for International New York Times, Winner of the SOPA Award 2008 Journalist of the Year; and
• Mr Greg Torode, Special Correspondent for Reuters, Winner of the SOPA Award 2015 Excellence in Explanatory Reporting.
For details of the guest speakers and the forum’s schedule of events, please visit http://hkbu-sopa.hkbu.edu.hk/
For media enquiries, please contact Patricia Chan of the School of Communication (Tel: 3411 7875/9722 7149).